Thursday, October 30, 2008

Strange Things are Afoot

In addition to the general oddities that come with this whole person-cooking process, some really strange behaviors are starting to break through my previous rational and logical schedule.

When my skin feels itchy and dry, I water the plants. Because if I'm dry, the plants must be too? (Last pregnancy, I repotted all my plants because they looked 'confined' in their pots.) I am unbearably warm all the time, so my darling child is prancing about in a tee shirt and shorts. My poor fish have been issued a warning - it is their responsibility to stay alive with minimal assistance from me. Apparently my mothering instinct doesn't apply to fish....

But the weirdest thing that is happening this week is the continuous presence of earworms. EW! No, not actual worms. Earworms are songs that get stuck in your head and repeat until your subconscious is somehow distracted by something more important. (Oh, look! Something shiny!)

I've been listening to the same CD for four months, because the CD player in the basement is frightfully old and will only play Chris Isaak and Pink Floyd. Until this week, none of the Chris Isaak songs have stuck with me past breakfast. Now I run through the entire CD at least once a day. Not just one song over and over, but one song and then the next one, and the next one...

And they don't go away. I am now permanently haunted by songs in my head, whether it be Chris Isaak, Barney or a stupid commercial jingle. (Five dollar foot looooong, anyone?)

Sometimes, this new form of torment produces some funny results. I was singing along with the song in my head, which happened to be the Sarah Palin rap from SNL. (By the way, props to Amy Poehler for going on with the show at the very end of the third trimester!) I happened to be in the same room with Darling Child at the time, and said "All the mavericks in the house, put your hands up!"

Baby Girl put down her crayon, put her hands in the air and said "What what!" and then went back to coloring.

I've never laughed so hard in my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Earworms! I love that you have given a name to the annoying songs that can plague us all day long. So Maeve's a Maverick huh? Probably should have dressed her up as McCain last night. :-)