Thursday, October 2, 2008

Silly Mommy

Do you ever have those moments where you realize what a bad idea it was to talk just after you opened your mouth? Good insight, but bad timing?

This morning, I was writing a note to my Mom on the back of an envelope on the kitchen counter. My darling child, ever present and watchful, saw my pen and said "Momma, I have that? I need that. I NEED that, Momma."

Genius that I am, I said back to her "Then why don't you get your step stool and climb up here and get it?" Her eyes got really big. She said "Thep thool?" Oh, crap. Was it too late? I said "No, never mind." She said "Thep Thool!" and took off at a gallop.

Back into the kitchen she comes with the stool in hand. I watch, shaking my head at my own stupidity, as she hops up and reaches the pen on the counter. I watched as she reached past the sharp knives, the half empty cups of water and a pile of bills. She was able to reach all the way to the back of the counter, isn't that something?

Yeah, it is something. Something that just made my life exponentially more difficult. Not only did I just erase any hope I had of keeping anything of value on my kitchen counter, but do we really think it would stop there? I increased her reach, universally, by twelve inches straight up.

Silly, silly mommy. I'm going to spend the whole weekend moving everything in my house two feet higher, and have no one to blame but myself.

No comments: