Monday, October 19, 2009

Overtraining

Hubs and I have been working out, together, in the morning. This morning workout hour used to be my time alone, where I would escape in my fantasy land of swinging hammocks, umbrella drinks served by shirtless (and mute) muscle bound men. But now we work out together, prompting many interesting and pointed conversations.

Case in point:

Today, I announced that I have "Overtraining Syndrome". This is something that happens to people that over do it for a period of time, don't get enough sleep, and have to slow down for a little while.

Hubs said, "How can you tell?"

"Well," I answered, "I'm grouchy. That's one of the signs."

With a carefully composed face, he said "You've been grouchy for 11 years. I don't think overtraining is the problem."

He thought about it a little while longer. "And, I thought that working out would make you happier. Instead, you're more dangerous now, because you can punch and kick."

"And I'm a lot faster now, so you better start running."

"Yep, that too."

I was slightly less grouchy for a period of time after that, because at least I'm not overtraining. I'm just grouchy, which we already knew.

No comments: